Director of Finance
Liminality Partners, LLC
About Liminality Partners, LLC
Liminality Partners advises high-net-wealth families and individuals who seek to create a greater impact with their philanthropy and to give with joy. We work with our clients to craft and implement philanthropic strategies, work through operational challenges that make it hard for them to achieve the impact they seek, and support them on issues at the intersection of family governance and philanthropy.
Our Founder and CEO, Theresa Ellis, brings more than two decades of experience in the social impact space to the practice. Most recently, she has held appointments at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government and at Dartmouth. Prior to that, she founded Common Impact, a market-changing social enterprise that was the first to systematize the engagement of talent resident in America's Fortune 500 companies to create stronger communities for all.
The Director of Finance Opportunity
Liminality Partners has grown steadily since its founding in September 2017. While Theresa brings a strong understanding of financial management and very much enjoys understanding the growth of the business through its finances, she needs a partner who can bring the attention to detail required for good financial management. We are seeking someone who is one-part Bookkeeper – able to dot all of the I’s required to keep our books in order – and one-part Controller – able to take a step back and see the financial forest amidst the trees.
This person will play a pivotal role in ensuring that financial transactions get processed, recorded, and reported in a timely fashion. Theresa will use these data at regular intervals to evaluate the firm’s growth and make strategic decisions about its evolution. Depending on the person’s level of experience, the Director of Finance could also play in role in helping to shape the firm’s business model as we continue to grow. Working closely with the Founder and CEO, the Director of Finance will be responsible for the following:
- Entering transactions in Quickbooks
- Reconciling invoices with receivables and payments
- Closing the books monthly and annually
- Preparing both a Balance Sheet and P and L every two months
- Managing employment-related transactions, e.g. speaking with our payroll provider when there is an issue, completing filings with the state Department of Revenue, etc.
- Preparing 1099s for the firm’s contractors
- Entering the annual budget and tracking budget to actuals
- Preparing the financial statements to send to the accountants to prepare the firm’s taxes
- Reworking the existing chart of accounts to (a) better capture the firm’s expenditures, and (b) show expenditure by business function, and (c) show expenditures by client
- Working with the CEO annually to develop the firm’s budget for the next fiscal year
While the above is a good approximation of what the Director of Finance will do during any given period, these responsibilities may ebb and flow based on the firm’s needs. The Director of Finance role is a part-time position (10 hours per month); as the firm continues to grow, we envision the role expanding.
The Candidate Profile
The Director of Finance will possess the following attributes or qualities:
- At least 10 years of experience in a financial management and accounting role. While experience in the philanthropic or nonprofit sector is not required, it is preferred;
- Impeccable attention to detail;
- Superior analytic abilities;
- The ability to work on their own with little to no day-to-day direction or oversight;
- The ability to understand the work of Liminality Partners and its business model;
- The ability to meet in person two to three times per year for all-staff gatherings, including travel if needed;
- A commitment to equity, inclusion, and justice;
- Impeccable integrity, honesty, and ethical standards; and
- An appreciation for working in a relatively new organization, a willingness to do what’s needed, and an ability to take initiative of one’s work;
How to Apply
Liminality Partners is an equal opportunity employer that is fully committed to building a team with diverse perspectives, experiences, and styles. We believe that we do our best work on behalf of our clients when we have a range of voices at the table. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, or veteran status.